Notice

Please note that all content (photographs and text) are copyright of the author. I have licenced the contents of my blog under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License:This means that you can repost and use material for non commercial use only and as long as you give credit to me as the author and include the same conditions for anyone else to use the material likewise.Refer to the link for more information: Creative CommonsAttribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Laying a border with concrete caps stones - Part 3

Finally the border of the enlarged Pink Rain Lily(Zepheranthes rosea) bed was completed. The new bed is about three times bigger than the old one and aside from the nice new border will look even better once the Rain Lilies have grown and multiplied to fill it out. Then when they are in full bloom probably next year when the rainy season starts they will look absolutely stunning.

Completed boarder defining enlarged Pink Rain Lily bed

Here you can see the completed boarder and the difference in size between the old bed of Rain lilies and the new. Below is the bed of Egyptian Starclusters and Ti Plants I started which is parallel to the Rain Lily Bed.

Bed of Egyptian Starclusters and Ti Plants with boarder of old Poumuli trunks

Ti plant ready for transplanting
 If you look closely you can see the Egyptian Starcluster cuttings. I covered the ground with cardboard as a temporary ground cover/mulch. Ideally I would have liked to get lots of coconut husks and use that as a more permanent and much more effective mulch. But sometimes you must make do with what you have. In any case I try to recycle and reduce rubbish that is sent to the rubbish tip by composting or using large cardboard boxes etc in the garden.

Here you can see the use of a large tire and rocks to create the boarder of this flower bed along one side of the driveway. Along the inside edge of the low rock boarder (no concrete was used) are planted Red Ti Plants and Silver Dragon. Inside the bed are a variety of plants including: Calathea burle-marxi "Green Ice" and "Blue Ice", Torch Gingers, Chrysothemis, Indonesian Wax Roses and Ixoras.

Here is the other side of the driveway defined by old tires. I started covering them up with a rock boarder because I did not really like the tires and they were only intended to give some structure to the bed after which the plan was to put a rock boarder to hide the tires.


Above is a view of part of the drive way showing both beds. Another reason I wanted to cover up the tires is so that both borders would look the same. I also was waiting for the Silver Dragon to grow and multiply so I could plant more on the right side.

Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters Blog by Vincent Albert Vermeulen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Based on a work at http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.be/.

Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.be/.

My other blogs

· Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters (on plants, animals as well as gardening, conservation and environmental matters): http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.com/

· The Blood of Souls (language, translation and etymology) : http://thebloodofsouls.blogspot.com/

· Whiskers on Kittens (Life with Kittens and Cats in general) : http://whiskersonkittens-vincent.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment