Notice

Please note that all content (photographs and text) are copyright of the author.

Saturday 9 July 2016

Upcoming posts

It has been a while since I posted anything new due to assignments, research projects and exams taking up my time.

As I mentioned in my most recent post I'm now getting on with a whole lot of housekeeping issues related to this blog as well as my other blogs.
I am currently in the process of going through all the drafts that I had been working on before I had to put things on the back burner to see what needs to be done to complete them. This can range from:
  • Adding photos - which necessitates my hunting through gigabytes of photos to find the ones I need. Although, fortunately I have them filed according to date and location. I have also slowly been adding the appropriate tags to my already vast and growing photo archive. Once I have found the photos I want to use in a post I then need to resize them. I need to do this because I tend to take photos at the highest resolution possible but I cannot use those photos because that will impact on the accessibility of my blog by people whose computers / internet access prevents them from processing such high resolution photos. Having been in that situation I know the impact of high resolution photos and web pages that crash or take ages to load due to limited internet speed or processing power or worse ... eating up a whole months worth or internet megabytes (yes some parts of the world you pay by megabyte not gigabyte). So once I have done that the only thing left other than cropping if necessary is to upload the photo and add the caption.
  • Finish writing the post or rewriting the post. That can range from:
    • Things as simple as just rereading what has been written and then finishing it off.
    •  Verifying some information from reputable sources (which I can then include in the references). Sometimes this leads to new information or contradictory information which I then need to sort out and figure out what is based on solid science and what is pseudo-scientific nonsense. Sometimes it leads to controversy or simply to a debate over something ... which while it complicates things and delays completion of the post as it means I need to read more on the subject, it also means that there is an additional element that I can write about or at least mention, depending on how important the controversy or debate is. Something as simple as the reclassification of a plant could end up in a simple paragraph explaining why this happened or if it is the reclassification of a whole genus or family then that might take a bit more. Or if it is over the efficacy of certain properties then that might start getting a bit technical. Sometimes when that happens I turn to some experts I know to read what I wrote to make sure it makes sense and is correct. In which case I acknowledge their assistance.
  • Adding all the appropriate tags / labels so that the post appears in web searches as well as so that people can find stuff internally by going to the labels and seeing what s available
  • Adding all the references and their web links
  • Reformatting the font, text and general presentation of the data so that the whole blog has a uniform look as well as making it easier for people to know exactly where to find information they want in each post.
Anyway ... its a long slow tedious process which requires time, patience, persistence and meticulous attention to details. Hence the long wait ... Also as this includes fixing up published posts and adding to the lexicons, the lack of new posts gives the illusion that nothing is happening. So, to allay this I thought it might be a good idea to lay out some of the primary posts that I am hoping to get completed over the next few months:

SOME UPCOMING POSTS

  • Propagation of African Violets
  • Intriguing Plants: Giant Hogweed, Heracleum mantegazzianum
  • Intriguing Plants: Umbrella Liverwort, Marchantia polymorpha
  • Intriguing Plants: Strawberries
  • Intriguing Plants: Adendium, Desert Rose
  • Intriguing Plants: African Violets
  • Carnivorous Plants: Sarracenia psittacina
  • Carnivorous Plants: Nepenthes
  • Carnivorous Plants: Drosera capenis, the Cape sundew
Incidentally I will be also working on my other blogs including my blog on etymology, language and translation issues: The Blood of Souls (which takes a lot more time researching and writing) as well as a couple other blogs which are in the process of transformation or formulation.

I also am hoping to get a crowdfunding project to publish a volume of poetry entitled: Dragon Waif: A selection of sketches from the other side of my soul.

I'm also planning on a few more photo expeditions to botanical gardens and other sites for material to use in this blog and others.



Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters Blog by Vincent Albert Vermeulen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Based on a work at http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.be/.

Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.be/.

My other blogs
· Flora and Fauna - Plants and Critters (on plants, animals as well as gardening, conservation and environmental matters): http://plantsandcritters.blogspot.com/
· The Blood of Souls (language, translation and etymology) : http://thebloodofsouls.blogspot.com/


· Whiskers on Kittens (Life with Kittens and Cats in general) : http://whiskersonkittens-vincent.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment